Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Our trip to the US border.

Friday, May 6, 2011.
Maria, Kathy and I went to the border to mail our Sewing Machine Accessories swap package, and I had a parcel for Trenton, in Utah. We had a few bumps along the way but that's what makes our trips so interesting. We checked in at the American border with our passports, everything was fine, the custom's officer came out, looked into the car and asked, "what's in the box". I told him it was a quilt, a 911 quilt. He picked it up and said it felt heavy for a quilt. He said he'd wrap it up again, and for us to pull over to the side and come in. When the 3 of us walked in, the custom officer was looking in the box at the quilt and the few chocolates I had put in. I asked him if he wanted to see the quilt. Every one in the building, including a young woman, came to look at it. Maria and I tried to hold it up but we were to short, the tall officer held it, and another officer took photos of the quilt. I folded the quilt but it wouldn't fit back in the box. Maria and I finally got it in. The officer didn't rewrap the parcel, Maria did, although they did give me the tape and scissors.
I've gone to the border many time with my sister to mail parcels to the States, this is the first time they stopped me. Next time I'll take Bill for the ride and I'll leave the parcel open. I forgot the lovely lady at Grand Portage Post Office would have wrapped it up. The reason I like to mail my parcels from the border is the package can be tracked and I mail it on Friday and it gets to it's destination on Monday. I mailed the Olympic quilts to Al in Calgary, on Monday, May 2, 2011, he may get it today.

2008 Trenton Christopher Maki and my scrapbook page of his 911 quilt.





Trenton today.

1 comment:

  1. Glad it got thru even after the mess with unpacking it. I am sure Christopher will be thrilled with it for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete